Monday, June 19, 2006

Dune Biking

I returned to cycling last summer when a injury kept me from running. I even rode to work a few times on the Trek 1400 my friend Jerry gave me. It got me excited about cycling again. Over the winter I bought a circa 1999 Specailized Hardrock from Craigslist Chicago . I changed out the knobby tires for some street tires and added a rear rack and poof...a commuter bike! I often work until 8:00 PM so I recently bought a Bike Light so I could ride at night. I've been commuting twice a week for about the past month. I should mention here that I've moved since last summer so my commute is more like 13 miles, not the 2 miles I rode last summer. I've also done a couple of longer Sunday rides. My friend Steve and I rode from Chesterton to Highland and back (about 60 miles) almost entirely on bike trails! Amazing! During this ride we chatted with a guy who commutes to his work in Burnham. It looks possible to get to Chicago. This Sunday (6/25/06) I plan to do Lorie's Ride which is put on by the Calumet Crank Club ( quite a name for a bicycle club btw). I hope adding the cycling to my running routine will improve my running, save my knees and provide another way to get a good workout. We'll see!

No comments: