Sunday, February 18, 2007

Remembering George Cheung



I could see the big buildings of Chicago as I ran along Lake Front Drive in Beverly Shores this morning. It's the Chinese New Year. Today begins the "Year of the Pig" in the Chinese lunar calender. I can't think of the Chinese New Year without remembering George Cheung and his 50k fun runs. It's hard to believe that the last run was thirteen years ago. I never really spoke with George as we passed one another on the Chicago bike path, but he always came to our table at the buffet afterward at his restaurant. I have some great memories of my many trips into town for that run. One year Stu Mittleman showed! You can really freeze your ass off running 50km in February on the Chicago lakefront! I notice that there's a George Cheung Memorial Race in March along the same route.

No comments: