Thursday, May 24, 2018

Day #39-Tribune, KS to Eads, CO 58 miles

So today we made it to Colorado.  We had strong cross winds again today early on.  It was almost 30 miles to the only town on the route with any services, a convenience store.  We could only average 7-8 mph in the wind!  However then the winds died off and the temperature climbed.  The wheat fields disappeared and the landscape began to look more like a scene from High Plains Drifter. Our route, now CO96 was almost deserted.  No more cattle trucks!  I’ll write more later...

The last outpost for wheat!

So Steve and I see a laundry as we get to Eads within walking distance of our camp.  After dinner we decide we’ve got time to do some laundry.  When we get there we find out there’s no change machine!  We’ve got three quarters between us.  There is a liquor store nearby so I volunteer to go get change.  When I get there and ask for change,  the woman behind the counter tells me she’s short on quarters and can’t give me change.  A tall boy Coors is $3.15.  I give her a five, she gives me three quarters and the day is saved!  

We are staying in a city park tonight with no showers and bathrooms that are across railroad tracks.  A sign at the park warns that the automatic sprinklers in the park turn on at 7:30 AM.  Luckily my body is still on Central Time!

8 comments:

Unknown said...

You will meet up with Cattle trucks again I bet....... glad you were able to get some decent miles in

Tom said...

93 merged with another road just outside of Eads and there was much more traffic. I hope we miss the cattle trucks!

Unknown said...

Congratulations to you and Steve on crossing another state off and on to another one! Good luck with your climb into the Rockies! Enjoy the scenery in Colorado!

Jeffrey Levandoski said...

Coors Banquet is a wonderful American Beer. Well worth the math.

Unknown said...

You could consider running around in the sprinklers as a shower. ????

Dick Smith said...

Nothing like sharing a fine beer at the laundry.

Tom said...

The only way to do it!

Kartik said...

I just saw your blog while I was searching for some RV park near me. You should also try 60 North RV Park (http://www.baycityrvpark.com)